Saturday, January 21, 2012

Step 1. Cold Stratification

This blog is a record of my attempt to grow indoor Lily of the Valley plants from seeds.  It will only be updated as I progress through the processes.


I purchased my Lily of the Valley Seeds from a seller on Amazon named seedsAPlenty.  The shipping was done via the USPS in a nicely padded envelope.  The package included two seed packets (with the other being a gift of Black Eyed Susans) and some instructions.  The instructions were basically to Google search how to grow the seeds which gave me a laugh since I had done this already prior to purchasing the seeds.  I already knew that my Google searches returned few results on actually growing them from seeds and more from growing them from Rhizomes.   Also, most of the results were for growing them outside, which is not what I want to do.  Finally, I came across this page which you'll find a detailed explanation of the process at the bottom.

The first steps explained the process of cold stratification where you wet a paper towel, place the seeds inside, fold it, put it in a ziplock bag and place it in the fridge for 4-8 weeks.  I've taken these steps and I'll be posting my progress as I go forward.




See you again in 4-8 weeks!

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They never sprouted, but one year when I was cleaning up I found them and at some point roots had come out! But since I had long given up it didn't worked out. Buy the pips, they work the best. I've done that several times since and I've never had problems.

      Delete